Saturday, February 28, 2015

OK

I really feel like you guys have missed out since I haven't been writing about our time here in Oklahoma. This is the first place that we have lived that we truly LOVE. Like really. We have had people in previous assignments that our hearts were broken to leave, but not the actual places themselves. If Oklahoma were closer to the Gulf of Mexico (because not ANY coast will do) I would consider it the number 1 place to live, ever. Without the sugary Alabama and Florida beaches, it's close. 
I started a mental list driving down the road yesterday and I can't remember all of it, but I will try.
In no particular order, this is what I love most about living in Oklahoma:

1. Oklahomans LOVE Oklahoma. The people here have so much pride in their state; and those who live in OKC and the metro area like we do love this city just as much as the state. We really haven't ventured out much in the state but we plan to in this upcoming year. There is just SO much to do within this area that we live in. Oklahomans love Oklahoma so much that there are dozens of businesses that have Oklahoma themed shirts. Not universities, not professional teams, just simply Oklahoma. One of my bosses told me about the Oklahoma Shirt Company recently and of course I joined! You get an Oklahoma themed t shirt every month mailed to you for only $10. I'm a legal resident so…



2. The Thunder. No matter where you go, who you meet, you will ALWAYS have something in common with someone. Everywhere you look you will see Thunder blue and orange, a lightning bolt or the Thunder emblem…cars, clothes, and while not really my taste-I have even seen the theme in a tattoo… We have never lived anywhere where everyone loves the same team. Obviously Alabama has  the Alabama/Auburn rivalry, in California we had the Giants/A's, 49ers/Raiders division. In England I just couldn't care less about soccer. Sorry. So the fact that everyone loves the same thing is just such an awesome feeling of everyone being your friend, and I love that. The Thunder love has definitely rubbed off onto my kids.


3. Food. Anything and everything I do revolves around food and when and what we will eat.  I have recently been turned on the the beauty of being "local" and supporting local businesses. Oklahoma City has so many locally owned restaurants so we are making it a point to eat at a local restaurant once a week rather than getting Marco's pizza or Chicfila (which are both still awesome.) The food trucks even have their own app (maybe all cities do) that let's you discover where they will each day! It's a wonderful life we live in this day and age.  Today we ate at The Wedge Pizzeria and they brought out pizza dough for the kids to play with (and eat) while we waited. Eli said it was "literally the best pizza he's ever eaten in his entire life." Drew said it was the best dough he's ever eaten. They were both correct.  



4. Our church. This year Daniel and I will be married 7 years. 1 year ago, for the first time in our marriage, we joined a church. One day we were just googling churches and reading their pages when we came across WRBC. We haven't looked back. They're a bunch of imperfect people who love Jesus and have loved us. 

5. Mommy and Deddy. It's the closest we've ever lived to family. A 12 hour drive isn't exactly the ideal quick weekend trip, but we luckily have parents who don't mind the drive to see us.

And last but certainly not least..

6. Sonic. I can turn left or right out of my neighborhood and there are 3 Sonics within 3 miles. Most of the babies in my Tuesday and Thursday class gave me Sonic gift cards for Christmas. I had happy hour cranberry limeades nearly every day for 2 months.  





No comments:

Post a Comment