Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Our weekend with Papa

Just last week I was telling a friend that I have been so lucky that at least 90% of the stomach viruses we've contracted have been when my dad is around to help out. There was one when we lived in England that the boys had, but the rest were at my parents' house or when we were on vacation.
This past Thursday my dad flew into town to stay a few days. On Friday he kept the boys while a friend and I went to brunch to celebrate her birthday and do a little shopping sans the Land boys.
 That night we went to eat at S&B Burger Joint and OH MY LAWD. It was the best burgers we've ever eaten. You can order them in whole or slider size. Daniel and my dad got regular size burgers and I couldn't choose between 2 so I got them both as sliders.  The boys always want PB&Js so when these came out I was really impressed, they were grilled and the PB was melted and gooey... we all took a little bite. Then we had milk shakes. S'more milk shakes. Us grown ups were so full that we were in pain that night and still full when we woke up. Throughout dinner Eli was whining about his lower stomach and I thought that maybe his pants were just too tight.


Saturday morning we got up and Papa (Deddy, my dad) made his famous (to the boys) jelly biscuits, sausage and cheesy eggs and I made fresh juice with lots of spinach…this is crucial later in the story.
We got ready after breakfast and went to the zoo. The boys had so much fun showing Papa their favorite animals and we finally got to see the new baby elephant. The boys were very excited because they watched her birth (from a not so graphic angle) online. 
How spoiled boys navigate the zoo.

That night we were at the table and Eli laid his head down and said he wasn't hungry. He fell asleep in my dad's lap pretty early watching tv and when he got Eli to brush his teeth and get ready for bed, all hell broke loose.  Luckily it was in the bathroom, but hell nonetheless. And remember that fresh juice? It was hanging around in his tummy all day. We bathed Eli, cleaned everything up and he and my dad went to bed.
4am my dad comes in my room and says "hey I need a little help, Eli is sick again."
We did the two step all over again and got them into a clean bed. Eli was OK laying around for most of Sunday morning. Later he got up and went to sit on the couch with my dad when I said, "Oh guess he's going to go throw up on Papa again." And no sooner had those words left my mouth, dad was covered in it.
Shower, clean up mess. 
In between all of this craziness he was helping Daniel change out our smoke detectors that decided to malfunction and install a new garbage disposal since ours was causing small floods under our sink. I can't say enough how thankful I am for my dad who always does everything he physically can to help us. His whole life truly revolves around the kids and what he can do to see them and make their childhood memorable. His grandfather was his best friend and he wants to be the same for his grandchildren. I can even remember growing up him joking about wanting to be the best grandfather in the world. I always thought of that little clip at the beginning of Cinderella where the Prince's father was dreaming of playing with his future grandchildren. I have to say he plays the role pretty well.
Doesn't everyone eat breakfast like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment