Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mommy's Weekend Away

Several weeks ago (maybe even a couple months ago) two dear friends of mine moved to San Antonio for work. Texas is right below Oklahoma so I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity for me to go visit some old friends and have some girl time…
When I googled OKC to San Antonio, I was told that it would be about a 5 hour drive. Maybe from south OKC to northern San Antonio… It took me about 7&1/2 hours each way… Oh my Lord. I didn't need that much alone time. But it was so worth it. I listened to a couple of short Jack Reacher novellas on audiobook which made me realize how grotesquely inaccurate it was for whoever made the movie to cast Tom Cruise in that role. I'm late to the party, I know. Anyway, I made it safely both ways…obviously.
When I got down there Friday afternoon, Daie and I chatted for a bit and then went to dinner at my absolute favorite place that Daniel and I use to eat at, Tiago's and then we went next door to the Palladium to watch Divergent and then next door again to BJ's for a pazookie dessert.  Those 3 things (plus seeing my sweet friend) made the whole day of driving SO worth it. Meanwhile Elizabeth (who is a nurse) was sleeping and then left for work since she was on night shift. When Elizabeth came in from work on Saturday morning we went and ate a delicious breakfast at The Pancake Haus. OH MY WORD. Do Germans do anything wrong? Blueberry pancakes, scrambled cheese eggs and ham plus 2 cups of coffee later I had died. 
Yea, eating like I had just escaped from prison did not sit well in my…system. 
Still, I continued to live like each meal was my last. 
After breakfast Elizabeth went to bed for the day and Daie and I went to the outlets. We came, we shopped, we conquered. That night we went down to what I think was the Pearl District for food. A BBQ joint we went to first was what I can only describe as hipster fancy and not as BBQ-y as we had hoped. So we went to a little food trailer called The Luxury and ordered at a window… We were handed a toy alligator and sat waiting for our food to be delivered. The wait was long but SOOO worth it. I have never had a sandwich as delicious as this and I devoured it in about 6 bites. Daie ordered special fries for us to share that were topped with onions and some type of mayonnaise sauce and ketchup. Heavenly is how I choose to describe this meal. The only thing I did "good" was getting UNsweet tea...

The creepy little toy alligator with babies on its back :/



Elizabeth does paleo and this was her steak salad. The tenderness of that steak was unreal.

my mouth is watering…


Later we went and walked around the River Walk and I introduced them to the dueling piano bar Howl at the Moon… Everyone in there was either really young, really old, or having a bachelorette party. 6 years ago I felt like I fit in a little better…plus, knowing that Daniel was at home with the kids, I felt just a little weird and out of place. But, I am often weird and usually out of place…
Sunday I drove back home to my loving family and was only asked what prizes I brought home after/during the reception of big hugs… Everything is back to normal and no one even remembers me being gone…  




No comments:

Post a Comment