Thursday, January 2, 2014

Favorite Things

ecards always make me feel so much better about myself...

One of MY most favorite things is when people share THEIR favorite things. I love when someone shares a new favorite musician, comedian, food (actual food, then the recipe), products that make their life simpler, more entertaining, more organized, prettier… you get the picture. 
It comes of no surprise to my family that some of my favorite things are makeup. When I am at home with my parents and siblings are around to watch my babes, I take my precious time getting ready. Shower to walking out the door can easily cost about 2 hours of my life. It's not that I have a really strenuous beauty routine, I'm just slow.
Side note:  I and my sister (and I have recently found out that even several of my cousins) like to turn on the hairdryer and place it on the counter blowing towards us while we get ready. I have no idea why I do this. I've done it for as long as I can remember. It's very comforting though. Try it.
But anyway, I love makeup. I love face cleansers, moisturizers, face brushes... 
I imagine that most people reading this are also followers/friends of mine on Instagram. Today I took a few pictures of my face from fresh out of the shower to ready to walk out the door. My routine when it's just the boys and me is pretty speedy, about 30 minutes from start to finish. And that's with interruptions from my little angel faced children.
I was completely surprised by the number of people that took interest in my post today. And really the fact that 4 people wanted to know what and how I was doing what I did was astonishing to me. I was really just posting because I thought it was funny/sad how dramatically different I look before and after makeup. I have always felt like makeup should be used to enhance your features. I am TOTALLY changing the way I appear when I wear it. It's a little unsettling. But, this is the reason I do not participate in No Makeup November. Sorry. I am thankful for the canvas that God gave me though.
So, to the point of my blog… Some of my favorite beauty supplies:
1. Concealer! As of late, my skin has become what you would imagine a 15 year old boy with raging hormone's skin to look like. I have no idea what is going on. I am currently using Clinique's 3 step Acne Solutions cleaner, toner and lotion. It really hasn't made a HUGE difference, but I wake up with only 1 or 2 new pimples now as opposed to the 15-20 at a time I was dealing with. The concealer I use is Clinique Acne Solutions. I use the green one. (I can only find it in stores). They also have 3 more in light, medium, and dark shades. I've just always used the green and it works so, why change? It goes on really well, and once it dries I sometimes add another layer and then my foundation. 
2. Foundation. Duh.  I won't elaborate. For the past 5 years I have been using MAC's Studio Fix Fluid. It was beautiful coverage and lasted a very long time.  Since my skin has gone on this not so fun adventure, I am currently using the Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup and I really love how well it goes on with a brush. The brush I use isn't really intended for foundation but a girl at one of the MAC counters used it and it's really soft and light. You can find it here. I find that my foundation lasts much longer when I use a brush.
3. Blush, blush, blush, blush, BLUSH. It's my favorite. If I ever have to go to the store without makeup, there will be blush (and mascara) on my face. I've been wearing the same two colors for a couple years now. MAC's Warm Soul and Love Joy are the only two blushes I own. The $25 price tag is hard to swallow at first but they. last. for. ever.
4. Mascara. Mascara is SO tricky. You see the ads of Drew Barrymore's thick luscious lashes and go out and get whatever Cover Girl tube she was "wearing" and you're (I am) left disappointed.  Everyone has their own preference when it comes to mascara. It all depends on what you're going for: volume, length, both… My go to mascara for the past few months has been  Maybelline's Volum' Express the  Mega Plush Mascara. They look so much thicker, longer, it doesn't  clump, it isn't waterproof but my children make me cry a lot and it never runs. Now earlier today I was at Sephora and since it is my birthday month they gave me a free sample of Benefit's They're Real! mascara. My MIL gave me a tube for Christmas last year and I seem to get a free sample every time I go to Sephora. It's really awesome! But, my Maybelline does just as good for a lot cheaper!
I'm not going to put this in it's own category but since it's something I have done for my lashes before (and it worked) I feel I need to share! Around the time we moved back to the states I noticed that my lashes had started becoming thinner. It doesn't help that in the evenings I start picking at my mascara. It's a horrible habit. I had looked into the prescription lash serums but I had heard awesome things about the Peter Thomas Roth eyelash treatment. It went on at night right before bed, and I saw results in a little less that 3 weeks. I only used it every other night, mainly because I forgot a lot. I didn't have any eyelid discoloring or burning or any side effects, other than thicker lashes!
So, in case you aren't on Instagram ...
Here are the photos that I posted today. This is truly one of the most embarrassing things I have ever done. But, if you think I always look the way I do on pictures I post on social media, then I am just being a big fat liar.

This is why I try not to judge people too harshly by their mugshots.
I could easily pass as a meth user. And not in
the cute Jesse Pinkman sort of way. 


Concealer

Foundation

Blush. I always get complements on my cheek bones.
You can clearly see here how they're made.

Eyeliner (which I didn't discuss because, it's eyeliner.
  The .99 from DG is no different from any other brand IMO) and
eye shadow. I use Urban Decays Naked pallet.
 I was drooling in envy over everyone posting pics of
 the new ones Santa brought them.

This was just to show that I fixed my hair :)

So, I know I am not a beauty blogger by ANY means (in case the poor lighting and iPhone selfless didn't make it obvious enough), but I really do love finding new products to use with my basic makeup routine above. 
So, if you have any beauty tips, tricks, or new inventory in your own makeup bag, let me know! 

Note: I have to give 100% credit of my makeup knowledge to my mother. When she first let me start wearing makeup she showed me how to apply foundation without looking like I was wearing a mask, how to apply blush without looking like a hooker, and how to apply eyeliner without looking like a raccoon. I am positive that I've had many bad makeup days but it wasn't because I didn't have the knowledge! So thanks Mom for helping make me look purdy.



 






No comments:

Post a Comment